About the SBAI
We are a global active alliance of asset managers and allocators dedicated to advancing responsible practice, partnership, and knowledge. We ensure the quality and effectiveness of the alternative investment industry through responsible standards and the exchange of ideas. In short, we solve for better.
We are supported by over 150 asset manager signatories with approximately US$ 2tn in AUM and over 90 institutional investors responsible for US$ 4tn in assets. At our core is an active community committed to knowledge sharing, informed dialog, and innovation. Together our community of asset managers and allocators create real world solutions to tomorrow’s industry challenges.
The SBAI was established in 2008 as the Hedge Fund Standards Board (HFSB) creating the Alternative Investment Standards which we continue to be the custodian of. We are a non-profit organisation governed by a Board of Trustees comprised of senior leaders from asset managers and allocators.
We exist to improve industry outcomes by making investing in alternatives more efficient and transparent.
- Advance understanding and connectivity
- Improve industry outcomes
- Create real world solutions to tomorrow’s industry challenges
- Normalise quality and fairness
- Support the regulatory and supervisory community in improving conduct and financial stability
We achieve our mission to improve industry outcomes in many ways:
- Bringing together asset managers and allocators as a community
- Collaborating on key industry issues
- Setting, maintaining, and improving the Alternative Investment Standards and industry guidance
Our community can join us in our mission by:
- Adopting of the Alternative Investment Standards (signatories)
- Promoting the Alternative Investment Standards (allocators)
- Participating in Working Groups discussing and producing guidance on key industry topics
- Connecting with our community through events and roundtable discussions
- Contributing towards our engagement with regulators to advocate for and protect the integrity of the alternative investment community